The Botanical Gardens in Swansea have a renowned 40 metres double herbaceous border. Many mature trees of national importance. Glasshouses with orchids, temperate and tropical plants.
Wildflower meadow in season. Colour and interest all year.
If you are looking for plant sales in Swansea visit "The Friends Plant Shop",it is open Wednesday all year and from Saturday 30th March to end of September from 10 am to 2 pm. See our Plant sales Page.
Guided walks available.
Tŷr Blodau , is a purpose built meeting room with a kitchen and is available for hire.
AMSERAU AGOR A CHAU
OPENING & CLOSING TIMES
Ionawr - Chwefror 10.00am - 3.30pm
January - February 10.00am - 3.30pm
Mawrth - Ebrill 10.00am - 4.30pm
March - April 10.00am - 4.30pm
Mai - Medi 10.00am - 6.00pm
May - September 10.00am - 6.00pm
Hydref 10.00am - 4.30pm
October 10.00am - 4.30pm
Tachwedd - Rhagfyr 10.00am - 3.30pm
November - December 10.00am - 3.30pm
Whatever the season there is always something of interest to see at the Botanical Gardens.
The private estate of the wealthy Vivian family is bought at auction by the Swansea Corporation for the sum of £90,000 for use as a public park.
The new Singleton Park is “thrown open to the public on a Sunday”. Park Superintendent Daniel Bliss, who trained at Kew Gardens, began his ambitious plans to oversee the transformation of the park and garden.
The Educational Garden officially open to the public on May 25th as a “collection of economic plants and British flora”.
Part of the Garden is turned over to growing vegetables for the Dig for Victory campaign. In 1944 over 1500 American troops were billeted under canvas in the wider park. After training on local beaches the troops left for the D-day landings on Omaha Beach, Normandy.
By the sixties, the Educational Gardens employs 6 gardeners and 2 apprentices to tend to the increasingly important collection of plants.
After sixty years the original wooden glasshouses had become unsafe. Over the next few years they are demolished and replaced with aluminium structures which survive to this day.
A superb ornate eighteenth century pond and fountain dated from 1773 is moved from Castle Gardens to this site.
The Educational Gardens are renamed as the "Botanical Gardens"
Run by a group of volunteers, the Friends of the City of Swansea Botanical Complex , FCSBC, is founded with the aim of supporting the work of the Botanical Complex.
With financial help from FCSBC, Tŷr Blodau building is opened. This purpose built education and visitor centre hosts a programme of activities related to horticulture and wildlife as well as being available for hire.
For more details about hiring see below.
FCSBC raises funds and opens an extension to the Botanical Gardens. The Wildflower/ Wellbeing Garden is the latest page in the Gardens’s story – it is a “little slice of wild” created among the more formal setting of the traditional Botanical Gardens.
For further details of costs and facilities please complete the contact form below and send in. You will receive a reply as soon as possible.
The purpose built meeting room at the Botanical Gardens